It's time for a crochet-along with Marly Bird! After a general inquiry in the CAL group for what you want to learn how to make, it has been decided that we'll be crocheting the Granny Square Cardigan designed by Marly, herself. This cardigan is made using Unforgettable yarn. It has the look of a cardigan but the easy fit and coziness of a shrug. Every Wednesday for Six weeks starting September 6 you'll receive video tutorials from Marly to follow along with the written pattern and crochet the sweater. Use the hashtag #MarlyBirdCAL to share your projects! A crochet-along, or CAL, is a group of people coming together to crochet the same project in the same timeframe. If you start late or crochet slower, that's OK! All of the material will stay available for free.
Join the Marly Bird CAL Facebook group to get tips directly from Marly and from other people who have made the sweater and are working on it, as well as ways to enter the giveaways. Use the hashtag #MarlyBirdCAL on Instagram and Twitter to share your photos there.
Pick up your supplies now so you'll be ready to go when the CAL starts! Use the promo code CALMARLY20 from August 30-September 13, 2017 for 20% off purchases of Unforgettable yarn on redheart.com.
Cardigan measures 48 (56, 64)" (122 (142, 163) cm) in width including cuffs, and 21 1/2 (25, 28 1/2)" (55 (64, 72) cm) in length, not including collar.
- RED HEART Unforgettable: 6 (9, 11) balls in color of your choice
- Susan Bates Crochet Hook : 4mm [US G-6]
- Yarn needle
- Split lock stitch markers
The sample cardigan in the written pattern was made in the color 3968 Regatta. Any color of Unforgettable works for this sweater.
Come back each week for the written pattern and video! The written pattern will be on Marly's website and the video will be on YouTube; we'll add the links below as each part is released. All of the materials will stay available after the CAL finishes; so don't worry if you join a little late. Note: at the end of the CAL the full pattern will be released as a downloadable PDF available on RedHeart.com. To get notified as soon as the video is posted, subscribe to Marly's YouTube channel.
Week 5 Wednesday, October 4
Week 6 Wednesday, October 11
Finishing, styling, altering, and how to use this as blueprint
Post your progress pictures each week in the Marly Bird CAL Facebook group to be entered for a chance to win a $25 prize pack! We’ll choose one winner each week for the prize pack. One week after the final video is posted we’ll ask you to share a photo of your finished sweater, and we'll choose 3 winners to each win a $50 prize pack from everyone who finished.
To enter: Post your picture of your in-progress sweater in the Facebook group before Tuesday at 11:59pm Mountain Time (Marly's time zone) to be entered. Winners will be announced on Wednesdays.
- Week 1: Post your progress picture by Tuesday, September 12; 1 winner of a $25 prize pack announced Wednesday, September 13
- Week 2: Post your progress picture by Tuesday, September 19; 1 winner of a $25 prize pack announced Wednesday, September 20
- Week 3: Post your progress picture by Tuesday, September 26; 3 winners of $50 prize packs announced Wednesday, September 27
- Week 4: Post your progress picture by Tuesday, October 3; 3 winners of $50 prize packs announced Wednesday, October 4
- Week 5: Post your progress picture by Tuesday, October 10; 3 winners of $50 prize packs announced Wednesday, October 11
- Week 6: Post your completed sweater picture by Tuesday, October 17; 3 winners of $50 prize packs announced Wednesday, October 18